Titled, in plate, upper center: THE SOUTH VIEW OF FURNESS ABBY, IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASTER.; inscribed, in plate, lower left margin: To S.r [r in superscript] THOMAS LOWTHER Bar.t [t in superscipt] / owner of this Abby: / This Prospect is humbly Inscrib'd, by / his Oblig'd humble Servants: S. & N. Buck; inscribed, in plate, lower center margin: [crest: arms of Thomas Lowther]; inscribed, in plate, lower right margin: THIS Monaster of Cistercians was founded AD. 1127. by Stephen Earl / of Morton & Boloign, afterwards King of England. The Monks of this House / were translated from Tulket in Anderness hither. Will.m [m in superscript] de Moubrey the 3.d [d in superscript] Earl / of Lancaster & Agnes de Bruss his Wife, Michael Fleming &x. were large / Benefactors to this Abby. Pope Eugenius granted to John Abbot of S.t [t in superscript] Mary's in Furness, / and his Bretheren a full confirmation of all their Possessions; with an Imunity from / all Tithes for either Cattel or lands held in their own Hands. Ann. Valu Dug. 805.16 / Sp. 966.07 / S. Buck. delin. et Sculp. 1727 ---; inscribed, in plate, lower right: 149
Professor & Mrs. Churchill Pierce Lathrop (Dolly), Hanover, New Hampshire; sold to present collection, 1955.
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Contact Us