Signed, right center, red colophons, black inscription
Collected by Dr. Frederick Peterson (1859-1938) (possibly in Japan), around 1910-1929; catalogued by Dr. Berthold Laufer in 1930; acquired by WIlliam Bingham II (1879-1955) in the 1930s [possibly at the time of Dr. Peterson's death in 1938]; on loan to the Princeton University Art Gallery, Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, New Jersey, about 1938-1941; purchased by the Trustees of Princeton University from WIlliam Bingham II in 1941 with the stipulation that some of the paintings be distributed to Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire [stated in the Princeton University Deed of Gift, the collection should be officially designated as "Selections from the Peterson Collection, Gift of WIlliam Bingham, 2nd"]; given to present collection, 1942.
This record is part of an active database that includes information from historic documentation that may not have been recently reviewed. Information may be inaccurate or incomplete. We also acknowledge some language and imagery may be offensive, violent, or discriminatory. These records reflect the institution’s history or the views of artists or scholars, past and present. Our collections research is ongoing.
We welcome questions, feedback, and suggestions for improvement. Please contact us at: Hood.Collections@dartmouth.edu