Collected by Dr. Frederick Peterson (1859-1938) (possibly in Japan), around 1910-1929; catalogued by Dr. Berthold Laufer in 1930; acquired by WIlliam Bingham II (1879-1955) in the 1930s [possibly at the time of Dr. Peterson‘s death in 1938]; on loan to the Princeton University Art Gallery, Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, New Jersey, about 1938-1941; purchased by the Trustees of Princeton University from WIlliam Bingham II in 1941 with the stipulation that some of the paintings be distributed to Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire [stated in the Princeton University Deed of Gift, the collection should be officially designated as "Selections from the Peterson Collection, Gift of WIlliam Bingham, 2nd"]; given to present collection, 1942.
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Contact Us