The South View of Winchelsea-Monastery, in the county of Sussex

Samuel Buck, English, 1696 - 1779, Nathaniel Buck, English, active 1724 - 1759



Engraving on laid paper

Plate: 7 9/16 × 14 5/8 in. (19.2 × 37.1 cm)

Sheet: 10 1/2 × 18 1/8 in. (26.7 × 46 cm)

Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College: Purchased through the Julia L. Whittier Fund



Europe, Great Britain



Object Name




Not on view


Titled, in plate, upper center: THE SOUTH VIEW OF WINCHELSEA-MONASTERY, IN THE COUNTY OF SUSSEX.; inscribed, in plate, within image, center left : 1; inscribed, in plate, within image, center right: 3 4 5; inscribed, in plate, lower center: THE Town of Winchelsea formerly remarkable for its Strength and Beauty, tho now inconsiderable and ruinous, has among other Marks of / its ancient Grandeur still remaining this Monastery, which was founded by William de Buckingham, who dedicated it to the Honour of the Blessed / Virgin Mary. King Edward III in regard to the Founder and Sanctity of the Institution was gracriously pleased to confirm all its Possessions and / Privileges. As no Notice is taken of it in the Monasticon its probable it fell with other of the lesser Religious Houses before the general Dissolution.; inscribed, in plate, lower left: Winchelsea Church 2 Winchelsea Castle 3 Folkston Cliffs 4 Romney 5 Lydd; inscribed, in plate, lower right: Sam:l [l in superscript] & Nath.l [l in superscript] Buck del. & Sculp. Publisht according to Act of Parliament March 25th [th in superscript] 1737. / 296.


Professor & Mrs. Churchill Pierce Lathrop (Dolly), Hanover, New Hampshire; sold to present collection, 1955.

This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete.

Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Contact Us