Titled, in plate, upper center: THE WEST VIEW OF LILLESHUL PRIORY, IN THE COUNTY OF SALOP.; inscribed, in plate, lower left margin: To the Right Honourable JOHN LEVENSON GOWER, Lord / Gower, Baron of Stittenham in the County of York, and Baronet. / Proprietor of these Remains. / This Prospect is humbly Inscrib'd, by, / My Lord / Y.r [r in superscript] Lordships most Obedient Serv.ts [ts in superscript] / Sam.l [l in superscript] & Nat.l [l in superscript] Buck.; inscribed, in plate, lower center margin: [crest: arms of John Levenson Gower with motto] FRANGAS NON ELECTES; inscribed, in plate, lower right margin: LILLESHULL or LILLESHAL PRIORY. Here was once a Church built as is suppos'd by Adelfleda / a Queen of ye [e in superscript] Morcians & dedicated for S.t [t in superscript] Alcmono a progenitor of ye [e in superscript] Family whence King Edgar / proceeded, which last nam'd endow'd it with ten Prebends & enlarged it. In K. Stephens Reign Richard / Beaunmeys (or Belmeis) Dean of it did by ye [e in superscript] Kings consent & authority of ye [e in superscrpt] Pope give it to Canons regular / of S.t [t in superscript] Austin who came from S.t [t in superscript] Peters Dorchester & the Monastery was then founded about the Year / 1140 to ye [e in superscript] honour of S.t [t in superscript] Mary ever Virgin. Among ye [e in superscript] principale Benefactors we find Hillaria de Trussebut / & Alan deLouche, who was Patron of it: but by his Daughter it came to ye [e in superscript] Family de Holland. The Laurel / Leaves in the Hands of ye [e in superscript] two Statues upon ye [e in superscript] Gothick Columns at ye [e in superscript] Gate Shew it to have been long in / ye [e in superscript] Hon.ble [ble in superscript] Family of Levenson: which became at length united by marriage with the Noble Family of / Gower, who now possess it. / Annual Val. 229.L 3.S 1.d Dugd / 327.L 10.S 0.d Speed / S. & N. Buck delin et Sculp.t [t in superscript] 1721.; inscribed, in plate, lower right: 249
Professor & Mrs. Churchill Pierce Lathrop (Dolly), Hanover, New Hampshire; sold to present collection, 1955.
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Contact Us