Titled, in plate, upper center: THE SOUTH-WEST VIEW OF BAMBURGH CASTLE IN NORTHUMBERLAND; inscribed, in plate, within image, center left: Holy Island; inscribed, in plate, within image, center right: Farm Islands; inscribed, in plate, within image, lower left: Sea; inscribed, in plate, lower left margin: To William Stuckeley of Grantham, M.D / Fellow of the Colledge of Physicians in London, & F.R.S. &c. / This Prospect is gratefully Inscribed by / His much obliged Hum.ble [ble in superscript] Serv.ts [ts in superscript] / S. & N. Buck; inscribed, in plate, lower center margin: [arms of William Stuckeley and motto] SI SIT PRUDENTIA.; inscribed, in plate, lower right margin: THE old Name of this Place was Bibbanburg, taken from Queen Bebba. The Castle was built / by Ida ye [e in superscript] first King of Northumberland who fenced it with a Wooden Empailure, but afterwards being / of Importance to defend the Norther Parts ag.st [st in superscript] ye [e in superscript] continual Incursions of the Scots, was repair'd & made / a Place of great Strength & was always kept well mann'd & provided with Ammunition. Bressy the / Stout Norman in the Civil Wars between York & Lancaster, destroy'd the Beauty of this Castle & almost / demolished it since wc.h [h in superscript] it; hath been in a continual struggle with Old Age, yet the L.d [d in superscript] of the Manour still / holds his Courts Leet & Baron in a Corner hereof.; inscribed, in plate, lower right: 214 / S.&.N. Buck delin et Sculp.t [t in superscript] 1728.
Professor & Mrs. Churchill Pierce Lathrop (Dolly), Hanover, New Hampshire; sold to present collection, 1955.
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Contact Us