Temporary Exhibitions, Friends and Cheatham Galleries
Focus on Photography surveys the Hood Museum of Art's post-1950 photography collection concentrating on two major themes: portraiture and landscape. Bridging these two themes, a small assortment of documentary and photojournalist works will present work by major figures such as James Nachtwey, Sebastiao Salgado, and Eugene Smith. Focus on Photography maps several contemporary trends in photography including a trend towards adolescence in portraiture, the clash of man versus nature in landscape imagery, the negotiation of identity through self-portraiture, and images of the urban landscape.
In addition, Focus on Photography will trace advances in technology that drive a number of artists's work, including digital photography and computer manipulation (with artists like Loretta Lux), photogenics (Lotte Jacobi), extended exposure times (Gary Schnieder and Matthew Pillsbury) and camera obscura (Abe Morell). Even with such developments, the show will underscore how artists working today continue to draw on traditional subject matters, styles, and processes.
This exhibition was organized by the Hood Museum of Art and is generously supported by Philip Fowler 1927 Memorial Fund. An Exhibition Guide can be found in the gallery.
Curated by Emily Shubert Burke, Assistant Curator for Special Projects
Related Educator Resource
- Shadowplay: Transgressive Photography from the Hood Museum of Art
- The 2015 Nepal Earthquake: Photographs by James Nachtwey and Kevin Bubriski
- Looking Back at Earth: Environmental Photography from the Hood Museum of Art
- Nature Transformed: Edward Burtynsky’s Vermont Quarry Photographs in Context
- Water Ways: Tension and Flow
- Looking Backward, Moving Forward: Women Photographers in the Hood's Collection
- Pilobolus Comes Home: Three Decades of Dance Photographs
- Luis Gispert / Loud Image
- Focus on Photography: Works from 1950 to Today
- Archives of Photographer James Nachtwey '70 Acquired by Hood Museum
- Recent Acquisitions in Photography: Hiroh Kikai, Andy Warhol, Walker Evans, Mario Cravo Neto
- A Major Gift of Contemporary Photography
- Recent Acquisitions: Twenty-One Photographs by Barbara Morgan
- Recent Acquisitions: Sebastião Salgado, Brasil (Hand, Serra Pelada), 1986
- More stories about photography