Titled, in plate, upper center: THE SOUTH VIEW OF OKEHAMPTON--CASTLE, IN THE COUNTY OF DEVON.; inscribed, in plate, lower center: Ockment R.; inscribed, in plate, lower center margin: This Castle, was built by Baldwin de Brionys, & was at first call'd Ochementon; it descended to Rich: de Rivers or Riparüs, & from him to his Sister / Adeliza, who marrying one of the Courtenays, it came into that Noble family, & so continued till K.E. IV. seized it, for their adherance to the House [e in superscript] of Lancaster; K.H. / VII. restord it to the Cortenays, but K.H.VII. again alienated it & dismantled the Castle & Park, yet Ed: Courtney in Q. Marys' Reign obtain'd a Restoration, but he dying without / Issue Male, it came by a female into the Mohuns Barons of Mohun & Oakhampton, & by the like failure of ye [e in superscript] it came by marriage to Christopher Harris of Heynes Esq.r [r in superscript] / S. & N. Buck, delin et Sculpt. 1734.; inscribed, in plate, lower right: 65
Professor & Mrs. Churchill Pierce Lathrop (Dolly), Hanover, New Hampshire; sold to present collection, 1955.
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Contact Us