The South View of the Ruins of Fountains Abbey, in Skeldale; three miles from Rippon

Samuel Buck, English, 1696 - 1779

Share

after 1726

Engraving on laid paper

Plate: 7 9/16 × 14 3/8 in. (19.2 × 36.5 cm)

Sheet: 10 1/4 × 18 1/8 in. (26.1 × 46 cm)

Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College: Purchased through the Julia L. Whittier Fund

PR.955.2.4

Geography/Culture

Europe, Great Britain

Period

1600-1800

Object Name

Print

Classification

Print

Not on view

Inscription

Titled, in plate, upper center: The South View of the Ruins of FOUNTAINS ABBEY, in Skeldale; three Miles from RIPPON.; inscribed, in plate, lower left margin: This Famous Monastry was founded A.D.MCXXXII, by Arch Bishop THURSTINUS; / for the Reception of thirteen Monks, who retired / from S.t [t in superscript] Marys at YORK, for the exercise of / of / greater Austerity; and at first, had no other--; inscribed, in plate, lower center margin: To the most Reverende Father in GOD; William, / Lord Arch-Bishop of Canterbury Metropoitan / and Primate of all England. This Prospect, is Humbly / inscribed, by / may it please Y.r [r in superscript] Graces, / Y.r [r in superscript] Graces most dutifull; and / Obed.t [t in superscript] hum.ble [ble in superscript] Serv.t [t in superscript] / Smauel Buck. [crest: arms of William Wake, Archbishop of Canterbury]; inscribed, in plate, lower right margin: S. Buck Delin et Sculp.t [t in superscript] / Shelter than an Elm Tree; But were soon / after incorporated by S.T [T in superscript] BERNARD, into / the Cistercian Order, and therein acquired / great Riches; which when they surrendred / to K. Hen. VIII, were valued at JO72 Pounds P Annum.; inscribed, in plate, lower right: 326

Provenance

Professor & Mrs. Churchill Pierce Lathrop (Dolly), Hanover, New Hampshire; sold to present collection, 1955.

This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete.

Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Contact Us