Purpose and Vision
The Hood Museum of Art at Dartmouth enables and cultivates transformative encounters with works of artistic and cultural significance to advance critical thinking and enrich people's lives.
To realize this purpose for all, we:
- articulate the character and value of encountering original works of art and material culture;
- promote engaged learning, creative activity, and meaningful scholarship;
- create challenging and exploratory interactions with art and artists to spark curiosity and develop fresh insights into the world around us;
- present open fora for discourse and discovery;
- collaborate to acquire, catalogue, curate, and preserve our collection;
- respond to the needs and interests of our audiences; and
- foster a culture of inclusion.
For more information on the museum's identity and values, our 2017-2021 strategic report can be found here.
Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusivity at the Hood Museum of Art
The Hood Museum of Art staff is dedicated to creating a safe, equitable, and inclusive environment for all who enter. We understand that impactful change starts from within. As such, we have crafted a series of action steps in order to hold ourselves accountable to cultivating a space that reflects our values and our community.
The museum will perform a yearly review, using these steps as a rubric, and will publish the findings annually.