The objects below, which are currently on display in the museum’s Kim Gallery, are a small sampling of the museum's collection of antiquities, most of which were acquired prior to 1970.
These fourteen objects are listed here because they were acquired by the museum after 1970, the date of the UNESCO convention in Paris. The convention participants issued a treaty document specifying that "States [countries] recognize that the illicit import, export and transfer of ownership of cultural property is one of the main causes of the impoverishment of the cultural heritage of the countries of origin of such property . . . to this end, the States Parties undertake to oppose such practices with the means at their disposal, and particularly by removing their causes, putting a stop to current practices, and by helping to make the necessary reparations."
Although this treaty was not ratified by the United States until 1983, the Hood Museum of Art has adhered to the 1970 date for purchased works and gift acquisitions during the last fifteen years. Some of the museum’s antiquities, however, entered the collection in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s. In publishing these works on the Web, the museum is providing information about their collection history for all to review.
This site now only covers works currently on view; however, the museum will add other works from its holdings in the coming year.
Figurine of horse with rider
Early 6th century BCE
Buff earthenware with striped red slip design on body of horse and rider.
Gift of Ann B. Carter; 2007.50.1
This work was collected by Esther Fisher Hallowell [Morse] (1881-1946) and Susan Morris Hallowell [Brooks] (1883-1981) on a family trip to Greece in 1906; to Ann Brooks Carter [Susan's daughter], Hanover, New Hampshire; given to present collection, 2007. Note from donor (copy of her mother's note): "The H.T.C.'s (Hallowell Traveling Club) trip to Greece in 1906. Grandfather and Grandmother Hallowell, Esther and Sue [family members on trip]. During our tour of the Aegean Islands on the S.S. [illegible] in the company, by [illegible] chance, of six top notch English Archaeologists and before any tourist restrictions had been imposed on the islands, Esther and Sue upon finding a real bit of antique pottery would run to any one of our companions to get it dated, - 3rd century B.C. or whatever. Other items in the box were bought, - all original antiques except the cups." [Esther and Sue were sisters, children of Norwood and Sarah Hallowell]
Pyxis with lid
Early 8th century BCE
Terracotta, buff clay with brown and black slip
Purchased with funds made available through a gift from the estates of Lulu C. and Robert L. Coller, Class of 1923; C.985.15 A, B
This pyxis was purchased from Madame Nina Borowski, Galerie Archeologie, Paris, in 1985.
About 500-475 BCE
Terracotta with black and white slip
Hood Museum of Art; S.978.4
Dr. Grete Lehner Bibring (1899-1977), Cambridge, Massachusetts, unknown-1978; Fine Egyptian, Classical, Western Asiatic and Islamic Antiquities, Sale 4082, lot 2, Sotheby Parke Bernet, Inc., 980 Madison Avenue, New York, New York, February 17, 1978; sold to present collection, 1978.
Statuette of a woman
About 300-250 BCE
Bequest of Bernard Grebanier; S.977.216
Statuette of a woman
About 300-250 BCE
Bequest of Bernard Grebanier; S.977.217
One of these two small terracotta statuettes (17) was in the donor's apartment in mid-April 1969 (see letter and attached notes in file from April 21, 1969), and he refers to his collection of Tanagra figurines along with other holdings in a letter to the museum in 1968.
Rosoni Painter, Etruscan
About 600-575 BCE
Buff clay with brown, purple, and white slip
Hood Museum of Art; C.978.5
Unidentified private collector, unknown -1978; Fine Egyptian, Classical, Western Asiatic and Islamic Antiquities, Sale 4082, lot 75, Sotheby Parke Bernet, Inc., 980 Madison Avenue, New York, New York, February 17, 1978; sold to present collection, 1976.
Bust of a bearded man
2nd century CE
Gift of Anthony and Lois Blumka; S.993.43.2
This sculpture was in the collection of New York art dealer Ruth Blumka (1920-1994). In 1993, she gave the bust to her son and daughter-in-law, Anthony and Lois Blumka, who gifted the bust to the present collection that same year.
Relief of an African village scene
1st century BCE
Gift of Leon A. Marantz, Class of 1935; S.977.201
The donor, Leon Albert Marantz (1913-2008), of East Orange, New Jersey, made a donation of nine classical objects in 1977. The donor did not provide provenance.
Sarcophagus fragment with Eros, Nereids, Tritons, and a Sea Horse
About 140-160 CE
Thomas Herbert, 8th earl of Pembroke (1656-1733), Wilton House (probably acquired between 1678 and 1726); Christies, Manson & Woods, Ltd., April 28, 1964, cat. no. 86; Dr. Joseph R. Little, North Carolina, unknown-1976; sold at Fine Egyptian, Western Asiatic, and Classical Antiquities, Sotheby Park Bernet Inc., New York, Sale 3934, p. 36, lot 134, December 11, 1976; sold to present collection, 1976.
Head of a man
Mid-3rd century CE
Hood Museum of Art; S.976.271
Unidentified private collector, New York, unknown-1976; Fine Egyptian, Western Asiatic, and Classical Antiquities, Sale 3934, lot 132, Sotheby Parke Bernet, Inc., 980 Madison Avenue, New York, New York, December 11, 1976; sold to present collection, 1976
Egyptian, Roman era
2nd-3rd century CE
Purchased through the Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College; S.978.41
This stele was purchased through Richard Gray Gallery, Chicago, in 1978 (invoice date August 4, 1978). According to a letter in the file (May 22, 1979), it was acquired by the gallery from a private collector who was dispersing her collection of antiquities. It is not known when she acquired the objects donated by her in the collection; more research is presently being done. According to the gallery, they reportedly came from Kom Abou, Billou, Egypt, which was the site of a University of Michigan excavation in 1935.
Donation of Asian objects from Mrs. Patrick C. Hill
These four objects were given to the museum by Mrs. Patrick C. Hill (1902-1984; born Genevieve Baldwin Carpenter) of Charlotte, Vermont, in 1981. Born into a family of artists and collectors, she was the daughter of Rue Winterbotham Carpenter (1879-1931), an interior designer, advocate of modernism, and patron of the arts, and John Alden Carpenter (1876-1951), a composer. The donor's grandfather, Joseph Humphrey Winterbotham (1852-1925), donated his art collection to the Art Institute of Chicago and established a purchase fund. In a letter to the museum, the donor stated that she had been collecting Asian art from the time she was nineteen, about the year 1921. The Winterbotham and Carpenter families lived in Chicago and traveled throughout Europe. It is not known where the donor purchased her collection of Asian art.
China, Han Dynasty
Dog with traces of pigment
202 BCE-220 CE
Terracotta with pigment
Gift of Mrs. Patrick C. Hill; S.981.136
China, Northern Wei Dynasty
Standing tomb attendant
Terracotta with red pigment
Gift of Mrs. Patrick C. Hill; S.981.125.2
China, Sui Dynasty
Earthenware with straw-colored glaze
Gift of Mrs. Patrick C. Hill; S.981.132
China, Tang Dynasty
Late 7th century CE
Gift of Mrs. Patrick C. Hill; S.981.142
Last Updated: 5/23/13