The Hood Museum of Art was a significant addition to the arts complex at Dartmouth College, with its wide connectors linking the barrel-vaulted, modernist Hopkins Center for the Arts, designed by Wallace K. Harrison, and the one-hundred-year-old Richardsonian romanesque Wilson Hall, home to Hopkins Center for the Arts professional offices.
"Throughout the museum," wrote Charles Moore in his essay "Planning the Hood Museum of Art," "we were excited by the prospect of organizing some of the small rooms into the equivalents of the long gallery in stately British homes of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. There would be a vista down the whole gallery, so that the whole would be considerably more than the sum of its parts."
The museum, completed in 1985, contains ten galleries, the Arthur M. Loew Auditorium, the Sanders Seminar Room, professional offices, Bernstein Study-Storage, and the Bedford Courtyard.
This is the central gallery on the first floor. It was named for Gene Y. Kim, Class of 1985, through a gift from Andrew Byung Soo Kim and Wan Kyun Rha Kim. The Kim Gallery highlights the Hood's signature work of six ninth-century BCE Assyrian relief panels from the palace of King Ashurnasirpal II and features selections from ancient and Asian collections. It also serves as the museum's reception area for public events.
This gallery features highlights of the Hood's rich collection of European art, including works by Perugino and Workshop, Albert Bouts, Carle Van Loo, Pompeo Batoni, Sir Lawrence Alama-Tadema, and Pablo Picasso. The gallery rotates on occasion to feature selections from more than three thousand Old Master and nineteenth-century European prints. This gallery was given in memory of Ivan Le Lorraine Albright (1897-1983), who was known as a great American artist and friend and teacher of Dartmouth students. Albright was given an honorary degree by Dartmouth College in 1978 and was appointed Visiting Scholar in 1980.
This gallery focuses on rotating exhibitions that highlight the Hood's significant African, Oceanic, and Native American collections. African art at the Hood, particularly strong in West African masks and wooden figural sculptures, has been strengthened recently by the addition of important contemporary works. The Hood's Melanesian art collection is among the most important in this country. In addition, the Hood has strong displays of North American art, including a wide selection of Arctic and Plains objects. The gallery is provided through the generous support of Alvin P. Gutman, Class of 1940.
Featuring works from the museum's American collection, Sack Gallery displays excellent portraits and landscapes by noted American artists including William Merritt Chase, Frederic Remington, and John Sloan, sculpture by Harriet Hosmer, and paintings by Willard Metcalf, Eastman Johnson, Abbott Thayer, Lilly Martin Spencer, and Maria Oakey Dewing. The Israel Sack Gallery is provided through the generous support of Harold M. Sack, Class of 1932.
With its vaulted ceiling and expansive walls, Lathrop Gallery features selected works from the museum's contemporary collection, including paintings by Mark Rothko and Edward Ruscha and sculpture by Juan Munoz. It is often the site of student activities and musical performances. Lathrop Gallery was made possible through the generosity of friends, colleagues, and former students of Professor Lathrop, first director of the Dartmouth College art galleries.
This gallery is the site of numerous special changing exhibitions. It was provided through the generous support of the Owen Cheatham Foundation.
The Friends Gallery is named for the Friends of Hopkins Center and Hood Museum of Art, an independent, non-profit organization that worked to raise funds in support of programming for both arts organizations. The Friends Gallery features changing special exhibitions.
Utilized for numerous special exhibitions, these galleries are named in honor of the late Evelyn A. Jaffe Hall and her late husband, William B. Jaffe, generous supporters of the arts at Dartmouth.
Designated as a teaching gallery, Harrington is host to exhibitions organized as a collaborative teaching effort between the Hood and Dartmouth professors. Exhibitions have been on subjects as diverse as northwest coast Native American art, the history of photography, African textiles, Japanese prints, American political prints, ancient art, art and math, paintings and prints for teaching basic design, Melanesian art, and contemporary art. The Harrington Gallery is provided through the generous support of the following family members: Frank C. Harrington; Louise C. and Frank L. Harrington, Class of 1924; Frank L. Harrington Jr., Class of 1950; Roxanna Harrington Stevenson and John M. Stevenson; Margaret T. and Thomas B. Harrington, Class of 1954; and Diantha C. and George C. Harrington, Class of 1961.
The Sanders Seminar Room is provided through the generous support of the Sabra Hood Sanders Fund; Henry Marshall Sanders, Class of 1951, and Shirley Reese Sanders; and Beverly Sanders Payne and David Bennett, Class of 1958.
The 204-seat Loew Auditorium is used extensively by both the Hood and the College as a lecture hall and for film series screenings. It is dedicated to the memory of Arthur Marcus Loew, president of Loew's, Inc., producers of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures, and president of Loew's International Corporation, distributors of MGM Pictures and operators of motion picture theaters worldwide. Arthur M. Loew was an adopted member of the Class of 1921.
Dedicated to the study of works in the museum's collection, this classroom space is utilized by Dartmouth students, through both classroom and individual study, and scholars. The Study-Storage Center was provided through the generosity of Jane and Raphael Bernstein.
Provided by Peter and Kirsten Bedford, this outdoor courtyard includes the main entrance to the museum and features the whimsical untitled sculpture by artist Joel Shapiro. Bedford Courtyard is used for outdoor events at the museum during the warmer months.
Last Updated: 12/13/07